Deep down we KNOW that there is more to this world than what we see or experience in our every day lives.
Around the world people have written stories about fantastical beings and happenings that have amazed and inspired us for thousands of years. The ancient myths from Egypt, Greece, India and indigenous cultures across the globe tell the stories of gods, goddesses, angels, archangels, fairies, spirit guides and star beings. These stories about unseen magic world hold within them the ancient archetypes which we experience in our life's journey, and in that way, reading them—and writing our own—opens us up to perceiving more of the magic already around us everyday.
Yet, life sometimes takes on a rhythm of busywork that can sedate our magical senses. It's no surprise, then, that from time to time we find ourselves caught in a mundane-ness of our incredible existence. We get busy working, tending to our homes, planning for the future, staying up-to-date on social media and so on. When done at full speed, these daily activities create stress in our bodies, dulling our higher senses to divert energy from subtle perception to the sympathetic nervous system of fight or flight.
This is why integrative practices that calm the nervous system, focus the mind, balance the emotions and enhance proprioception—yoga, meditation, massage and dance—are great for increasing our subtle senses, and with that, our awareness of fantastical nature of this life.
It's up to us to see and recognize this magic—to pay attention to the seemingly ordinary and notice the divine.
20 Ways to Create More Magic in Your Life
- Drink more water. A hydrated body has more energy and a sharper mind.
- Eat fresh, real food and more organic fruits and vegetables
- Dance, stretch, do yoga — move your body
- Spend time in nature, marveling at its beauty
- Play with children, animals.. innocence
- Try something new in your own neighborhood or town
- Create an adventure for a friend or loved one
- Take the scenic route
- Look for synchronicity
- Keep a dream journal
- Create a vision board
- Leave secret notes with positive messages in public places for people to find
- Take a new class
- Go stargazing
- Do something kind for someone anonymously
- Make art
- Soak in hot springs
- Get dressed up just because
- Listen to your intuition.